Visa Information

According to US Department of State regulations, all foreign nationals wishing to participate in a placement program must qualify and apply for the appropriate visa.

Based on your program, this will be a J-1 visa, a B-1/B-2 visa, or the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

The purpose of the J-1 visa is to ensure that international visitors are provided with legitimate opportunities for professional and/or educational development, insight into American knowledge and skills, and a deeper understanding of American business and culture.

The purpose of the B-1 visa is to provide entry the United States for business or to participate in volunteer programs at a nonprofit organization contributing to social or charitable causes. The B-2 visa is intended for international visitors traveling to the U.S. for tourism, vacation, or enrollment in non-credit study courses.

After your placement is confirmed we can also assist you with the required documentation needed to receive your specific visa.

The Visa Service provided by the German American Chamber of Commerce California includes:

  • High visa approval rate
  • Competent & knowledgeable staff
  • Up-to-date information on U.S. Department of State visa regulations

J-1 Visa Eligibility

U.S. Department of State regulations state that an intern must be a foreign national who is currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree or certificate granting post-secondary academic institution (i.e. university, college, trade school), OR has graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to the start of the internship program.  Trainees must have graduated from a degree or certificate granting post-secondary academic institution AND have at least one year of full-time work experience related to their field of study and the traineeship.

B-1/B-2 & Visa Waiver Program Eligibility

U.S. Department of State regulations state that applicants for the B-1/B-2 or Visa Waiver Program must be foreign nationals intending to enter the U.S. for a temporary stay related to business and/or tourism.  Travelers coming to the U.S. for tourism or business for 90 days or less may be eligible to enter country without a visa on the Visa Waiver Program if they come from a qualified country. Our staff will assist with this determination.

We will assist in making your visa process as easy as possible; however it is important that you have the following items readily available upon request:

  • Resume/CV detailing your education and work experience
  • Valid Passport
  • Copies of any current or previous visas to the U.S.
  • Proof of your post-secondary school enrollment (i.e. university or college) or proof of recent graduation (in English).

Note: if you have already arranged your own placement in the U.S. and are seeking assistance in obtaining the appropriate visa, please contact us: